Tuesday, October 22, 2013

From grading to yarning and more......

 A few months back i was working as a freelancing online grader. Although, it was called a freelancing job and had flexi hours, we had to clear the queue of grading essays uploaded at the US. Sometimes, we would work on festivals, Sat and Sunday too.  After an year and half,  The job got monotonous.  To break the monotony, i would take breaks to read the  updates on FB and on twitter.  I had subscribed to TIME, The Hindu and  follow some of my favorites like musicians, artists  and get news much before the news mag/paper hit the stands. Similarly,on FB, i was not a great contributor by posting photos and status updates, but i used to check the status updates, check deals, participate in online promotional contests, like some photos and wish people on their birthdays.  All these during the little breaks that i would take between work.

 This continued after my work hours too since i had activated the social sites on my phone .I slowly realized i became a slave to virtual life .I would play a few games endlessly that i would'nt even know that the whole night went by. In the morning,  after my routine, i would come back to the monitor again to resume my work with severe wrist, neck and shoulder pain. It would also end in throbbing head ache.  Social life was also cut off. When i went down for a walk or when my friends met me they would say " Id ka chand bhi dikta hai, tum to dikti hi nahin ho".  They all would think work was keeping me busy. But only, i knew that i was addicted to virtual world.

The hitting point  came  when i was checking FB updates one day  and my daughter peeped into the phone screen and said " Ma, are you so jobless? that you are always on FB or twitter". And to think it came from my child. Actually, children are supposed to be chatting and addicted to such sites and parents are supposed to hold them back. It was ulta in my case. My children though played Farmville some 4 years back.  During the initial days, we had restricted their timings to one hour each in the early morning(summer time), but they soon got over once the school started and they got busy. They are now totally out of such sites and chatting. Sometimes, i tell them to check their updates and they refuse saying no time and here i was totally on it.

But then, Was i jobless?

I had so much to organize, sort and above all my domestic and official work took so much of time. Socialization offline was totally nil for me except during my yoga class when i met a few friends.

Then came  the month of May  and I was off to my home town. My parents home does not have a computer and so the Husband suggested i take my laptop but i refused saying "extra luggage" and that was the best thing i did.

I socialized, went around the town,  taught  a girl to read and write english and did so many constructive work. Even when my hands were tempted to use a system, i did not use my sister's or my cousins machine. Except for an ocassional mail check, i stayed away. The best thing i did was learn crochet. The colors and my creations were like a therapy. I learnt the basics from my mom and when i returned back, i de-activated FB, whatsapp, skype and other online chats. Now, i have ample time to attend to my priority jobs and other hobbies. I spend time with my friends. Now, when free, i turn to the yarns and do some yarn work, photography or go for nature walks in the nearby cantonment. Reading books is something i have to resume.  I still spend time online but constructively, i have restricted my timings only 15 minutes for FB and ocasionally on twitter. I am still recovering. 

BTW, this is what i did with that stack of colors which i mentioned on my crochet post. I loved this when i saw it on a blog site and immediately followed the tutorial. This is a crochet bunting. The tutorial is from Jacquie's beautiful blog called bunnymummy. I am now her huge fan. There is even a fest for this in UK called Yarndale. If interested catch the photos. The place looks like a fairyland.





BTW, did any of you notice this in my golu pic? :)

10 comments:

  1. Is there anything you cannot do ??? They look so pretty. But beware - in the UK you'll be mistaken for a 84 year old - that's the average age of those who crochet there !!!

    Yeah - Facebook et al is like fire - great servant but a bad master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ramesh. I do a few things but i have never excelled in anything:) In US, only 8% above 65 take to crochet and i have company in Julia roberts and Sarah parker.and guess what in both the countries and India too even Men do crochet so if i am 80 + in UK, i am 8+ in US. hehehe.... Thanks yes FB has to be sensibly used.

      Delete
  2. SG commented thus:

    It is called F.A.D. Facebook Addiction Disorder. I am glad you are able to come out of it. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos. Yes, I did notice the last photo in your golu pic. (Above golu steps but below Lord Krishna). But I did not think that they were crochets. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SG, you have left such a beautiful comment that in my excitement i deleted the comment instead of publishing it. I cut pasted it from my gmail account since it says the comment is deleted from blogger. This is the second time i am doing it in the past few days. I deleted shilpa's comment too and thought it was published. I value your comment. Thanks for the same and you are right. You noticed the bunting. You do have sharp eyes. FAD is it? God, i am relieved, you know, i used to hide from my children while using FB.

      Delete
  3. Virtual time has to be limited. I keep FB open during work hours and use it for breaks. But at home, with kids, no gadgets around. Check it once before bedtime but no gadgets in the bedroom. That's a rule. No TV in our house too - no cable connection...have a TV which is off 99% of the time. But FB is great when used well, so I'm not going off it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Shachi. No gadgets in bedroom is a good rule. I too believe that it sends bad vibes. Yes, moderation is the key when it comes to virtual time.

      Delete
  4. Lovely crocheting..I also loved doing it, but now find no use of it...yes, internet is like any other addiction:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renu:) there are many people who have put Crocheting and other crafts to good use. many earn commissions out of it and the bunting you see in the pic is rs.800. Many exhibitions are held in my city where enterprising women put their crafts to good use.

      Delete
  5. Social media can be so very addictive, so much so that it interferes with other aspects of daily life. And the best is that you spend hours on it without doing anything constructive!! Glad you put better use to your time by making such creative things!! Simply cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this social media addiction is only a short term addiction like infatuation, shilpa. Many of us do recover and rediscover ourself. My friend who was addicted to FB, joined a french class to divert herself. She completed her diploma in French and she is rarely on FB now. So, for some it is a blessing in disguise. I am trying to discover where i will land:)

    ReplyDelete